At first of the twenty first century, an unparalleled entry to data web site, known as Wikipedia, got here into being. It’s the largest repository of knowledge on this planet.
Wikipedia was formally launched on January 15, 2001 as an unbiased and voluntary, user-friendly encyclopedia, and curiously, simply 2 days earlier than that, Jimmy Wells and Larry Singer purchased his area title.
However as huge because it has turn into within the final 20 years or so, and as giant a repository of knowledge because it has turn into, there may be hardly a spot on this planet the place it’s not accessed and used.
Listed below are some attention-grabbing details about Wikipedia:
- Wikipedia has greater than 55 million articles in additional than 300 languages, together with Urdu, Sindhi, Punjabi and Pashto.
- Greater than 280,000 editors contribute to Wikipedia each month.
- Greater than 1.5 billion gadgets entry Wikipedia each month.
- Wikipedia is among the 10 most visited web sites on this planet, however is the one web site run by a non-profit group.
- As a result of it’s not a for-profit group, its prices are borne by bizarre individuals. About 7 million individuals contributed to Wikipedia final yr.
- Who do you assume wrote the primary article on Wikipedia? Surprisingly, he isn’t a world-renowned determine of in the present day or the previous, however Thomas Reid, an 18th-century Scottish thinker.
- How efficient is Wikipedia? This may be gauged from the truth that modifications within the topics of various vacationer locations and cities additionally have an effect on the tourism there. In line with a examine carried out in Italy, if the pattern of writing a few vacationer vacation spot on Wikipedia is optimistic, then the speed of vacationer keep there will increase by 9%.
- In 2017, Paolo Nespoli, an astronaut, recorded his voice throughout his keep on the Worldwide Area Station in order that it might be included within the Wikipedia article written on him. This was a milestone for Wikipedia because it was the primary time that area content material was included on Wikipedia.
- Yearly, Wikipedia customers maintain the world’s largest photograph contest, Wiki Loves Monuments. Since 2010, greater than 60,000 individuals from greater than 40 nations have participated within the competitors, that includes greater than 1.7 million pictures.
- The complete historical past of every Wikipedia article is out there within the View historical past or ‘Historical past’ tab in Urdu, in which you’ll be able to see how every article was written step-by-step, when, when and who, who and the way a lot. Contributed
- Volunteers do every thing on Wikipedia, not simply articles and pictures, but additionally guidelines, rules and pointers for writing and submitting them.
- There are greater than 1.9 edits per second on Wikipedia, which signifies that for those who take 5 minutes to learn an article, there will likely be 570 edits on Wikipedia in that point.